Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Finally replaced my glitchy tablet!














Good solid face and good overall value.

This image looks like it's being done in parts.  The overall figure
doesn't seem resolved.  The body feels a little short.  The limbs don't feel like they have a strong gestural line relating them together.  Starts to feel like noodles.
Becareful of spot rendering.  I makes an image feel spotty and not unified as a whole..  Bring up the image as a whole unit.  All parts are brought up to a decent level of finish.  I can see where this is going because I've seen and done it at workshop when starting out countless times.  Face gets 4 hrs of attention and the body is just an add on.  This is actually a very inefficient way of drawing.  I try and keep my mind in the mode of traditional media even though it's digital.  We tend to be more careless because digital media is so forgiving.  This leads to bad starts/careless mistakes, and if done a couple of hundred times develops into a bad habit.  I would recommend spending more time resolving the drawing underneath and slowing down.  You'll actually get more done than if you went right into tone and rendering.  Looking at all the old masters, they did a lot of studies before the final image.  Although loose, they don't feel rushed.  Keep in mind back in those times paints cost money and mistakes were costly.  Made them work more carefully and mindfully.  I'd like to bring that mindset into digital media as well.

Cheers

Bryan

3 comments: